Dating is about getting to know someone. A potential someone special.
While playing the dating game, here are red flags your date may exhibit that should send you running in the opposite direction:
• Focus on the physical aspect of the relationship
• Addictive behaviors (alcohol, spending, girl watching, drugs, pornography, computers, television, movies—anything that controls him and takes the place of God in his life)
• Disrespectful to his mother, sisters, waitress, and other women
• Uncomfortable making eye contact
• Disrespectful of your boundaries (One friend described how her date pushed himself past her to tour every room in her home. She felt violated by his lack of respect.)
• Bulldozes through your “no”
• Places responsibility for his emotions on others (“You made me . . .”)
• Unable to remember blocks of his childhood (This can be a typical survival response to abuse. If it is not faced and dealt with, the behavior comes out sidewise and adversely affects family members.)
These indicators will help you differentiate between a Bozo and a Boaz.